Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Alright So the South Park Thing

I get that creative freedom is important, and that the worst thing you can do with a terrorist is let them control you, but you know what?

If I was running a major television station, and a group in my city put up a website with the picture of someone who got murdered in the goddamn street in broad daylight and the address of the place where all my employees worked and said we were going to get hurt if we showed a certain religious figure, you know what?


I wouldn't f*cking show it.

Listen, I know there's no way of knowing whether or not something would actually happen. And it sends a terrible message. But you know what? At the end of the day if I'm responsible for that building full of people I can't let two guys who want to do something they know may provoke that kind of reaction get what they want at the possible expense of a shitton of people who have nothing to do with it.

Let's say someone did get hurt. Got killed. Are you gonna go tell their mother, husband, daughter that they died for someone else's creative freedom? That you had the choice to avoid making a noted extremist group angry and you chose not to do it?

I'm an artist, and I don't want to be censored. But I also understand that some things are more important than making a goddamn point, and that sometimes you really shouldn't do what may be the right thing.

I dunno, I don't think it's a good thing that they had to censor it but I think all the people getting all righteously angry over it aren't really thinking it through.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbJTo7sYFw

I kind of have to disagree with you on this one Phil. Just on the fact that they make fun of everyone. If they were just making fun of Muslims and just Muslims then it be one thing. Put the message it would bring to the community, well if you don't want to made fun of, just threaten them with violence then they will stop. Plus too back in the day, South Park did show Mohammad in the Super Best Friends Episode and there was no death threats. Plus I think that if you give into the fear then the idea of freedom of speech is in jeopardy. Check out the youtube interview about it they make their point very clear.

PHIL! said...

I saw their interview, and I get where they're coming from, but they already did a two-part episode where Muhammad got censored. They know what kind of controversy they're dealing with, and while I don't personally have a problem with them making fun of anything there's a difference between them putting out something on their own and them putting out something that, at the end of the day, falls on Comedy Central. They're responsible for anything that happens, which includes retaliation from a group that lives in the same city as them.

Like I said, I don't think it's good to encourage terrorists but when you have an entire company of people that could be at risk because of what two people in California wanted to say I think it's naive to say that CC was wrong. The truth is Matt and Trey knew exactly what would happen when they tried to show Muhammad again so I can't really feel bad for them honestly.

It's a shitty situation but I think you have to put people's safety first. If they really wanted to make the point I think they could have put a cartoon out on their own instead of through a network that has more to think about than just creative freedom.